Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

water freeze

2 posters

Go down

water freeze Empty water freeze

Post  Dr. Bruce Edwards Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:31 am

Kevin.... why does water on the road or beside the road, parking lot, etc. does not freeze and the snow melts when it is 15 degrees?

Dr. Bruce Edwards

Back to top Go down

water freeze Empty Water Freezing Question

Post  KSPR Craig Carnesi Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:48 am

Dr. Edwards -

Kevin is in later today so I'll take a shot at answering your questions. I think you are asking why some water freezes on roads and some doesn't as well as how some snow melts while it is still only 15 degrees.

I'll start with the snow. Believe it or not, the snow may not be melting, it may be sublimating. Sublimation is the direct change from solid to gas, or ice to water vapor. With plenty of sunshine, like we had Tuesday, the snow can and does change directly from the ice form to the water vapor without changing to liquid first.

The snow could also be melting as well thanks to dirt particles mixing in. Those dirt particles are obviously warmer than the snow and therefore help to start the melting process a little quicker. The same story goes for water freezing on roadways. We drive on the road which in turn warms the ground and cause the ice to melt.

I hope this answers your questions. If it doesn't, let me know here. After all, that is what the forum is for!

Craig
KSPR Craig Carnesi
KSPR Craig Carnesi

http://www.kspr.com/weather

Back to top Go down

water freeze Empty water freeze

Post  Dr. Bruce Edwards Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:35 pm

thanks for the reply.... but what about the water vapor or standing water not freezing, ie. in a parking lot. does it take longer for the water vapor to freeze?

Dr. Bruce Edwards

Back to top Go down

water freeze Empty Re: water freeze

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum