Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snow possible February 25/26?

3 posters

Go down

Snow possible February 25/26? Empty Snow possible February 25/26?

Post  Bowtie Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:48 am

According to the latest Hazardous Weather Outlook released at 5:12 AM this Tuesday morning there is a chance that at least a part of the SW MO Ozarks may see some accumulating snow Thursday night into Friday.

Here is the days 2 through 7 HWO:

DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY.

WINTER WEATHER WILL BE POSSIBLE THURSDAY EVENING INTO FRIDAY AS
A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TRACKS ACROSS NORTHERN ARKANSAS AND
SOUTHERN MISSOURI...BRINGING THE POSSIBILITY OF ACCUMULATING
SNOW TO PORTIONS OF THE FORECAST AREA. DETAILS REMAIN UNCERTAIN
AS TO WHERE THIS SNOW WILL OCCUR. STAY TUNED TO LATER FORECASTS
FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AS THIS SYSTEM GETS CLOSER TO
THE AREA.

And here is the current graphic as to where the best chances for the winter precip may possibly occur:

[img]Snow possible February 25/26? Day_3_10[/img]

Snow possible February 25/26? Day_4_10

Any thoughts would be very appreciated!
Bowtie
Bowtie

Back to top Go down

Snow possible February 25/26? Empty Re: Snow possible February 25/26?

Post  springfieldnewsnut Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:13 pm

If we can't get our temps up to spring standards, I say bring it on. Unfortunately, the models are only showing as much as 4-5 inches in NW Arkansas in the absolutely heaviest band according to today's 12Z GFS. (Mostly

It is interesting to see the 12Z NAM actually showing some snow possibilities, too. I guess areas east/southeast of Springfield could get a little dusting of snow.

At this point, this system's heaviest snow band will probably setup in an area from Fort Smith/Fayetteville down toward Pine Bluff. Probably the heaviest snowfall 2-4 inches?

We'll see what tonight's 0z runs say, though.
springfieldnewsnut
springfieldnewsnut

Back to top Go down

Post  weatherplus Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:37 pm

I expect nothing but flurries. The system will be tracking to far south along Arkansas area and the moisture will be very very limited. Plus expect highs in the upper 30's to low 40's Friday, so this system not even worth watching.

weatherplus

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowtie Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:57 pm

springfieldnewsnut wrote:If we can't get our temps up to spring standards, I say bring it on. Unfortunately, the models are only showing as much as 4-5 inches in NW Arkansas in the absolutely heaviest band according to today's 12Z GFS. (Mostly

It is interesting to see the 12Z NAM actually showing some snow possibilities, too. I guess areas east/southeast of Springfield could get a little dusting of snow.

At this point, this system's heaviest snow band will probably setup in an area from Fort Smith/Fayetteville down toward Pine Bluff. Probably the heaviest snowfall 2-4 inches?

We'll see what tonight's 0z runs say, though.

Thanks for the info springfieldnewsnut. After all, the charts and data suggesting that all the weather makers would be tracking well south of our region and taking the bulk of the precipitation with them and keeping us in a dry cold pattern for the next several days, this really took me by surprise. Since early this morning, the NWS has mostly removed the snow from their forecast. I was really wondering what the GFS and NAM models were saying about Thursday and Friday. By all means I was not expecting anything to get excited about and I still don't. But when I read that HWO I thought "do what for how much?", LOL! I also thought "Geez, what do they see that no-one else does?"

I noticed that Kevin at his 6PM report has a slight chance for snow showers or flurries on Friday (mainly south of SGF) with highs in the upper 30's. So we'll see....

Smile
Bowtie
Bowtie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down